I am on the search for a great WordPress and PHP developer to join our award-winning Integrated Marketing & Communications team here at John Carroll University, a Jesuit, Catholic University in Cleveland, Ohio.
We’re a WordPress campus with nearly 275 websites in several multi-site installations (and a few BuddyPress sites as well.) We also do a large amount of PHP development and work with providers like DigitalOcean, Mandrill, SendGrid and Amazon Web Services. We also do cool stuff with Wufoo, Twilio, Gravity Forms and much more.
If you’re up to a challenge and want to join a fun, hard-working team, please apply on our HR website. Feel free to email or DM me on Twitter if you have any specific questions about the position.
Here’s the full description:
In an integrated, fast-paced and highly collaborative environment, the Web Developer will be responsible for developing and maintaining John Carroll’s suite of web applications, with primary responsibility for the University’s WordPress content management system. As a key member of the Integrated Marketing and Communications (IMC) creative service team, the Web Developer will provide front-line support for the University’s content management system, develop new modules, and support other web and mobile applications. The developer must be self-motivated with an ability to proactively solve problems and identify new opportunities. Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing and Creative Services and working directly with the IMC team and the University community, the Web Developer will support IMC’s web servers and work with our outside providers and partners to provide great experiences for our campus content contributors.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and support WordPress themes, plugins, and custom post types for the campus WordPress installation.
- Design and implement new features, enhancements, and content of existing websites.
- Create and update re-usable code libraries to streamline WordPress development cycle.
- Provide front-line support to campus WordPress users and provide training when needed.
- Provide front-line support for the Industry Weapon digital signage system.
- Develop and support PHP web applications for offices including Admission, Alumni, Advancement Services, IMC and more.
- Support departmental and divisional goals through participation in University-wide events like Homecoming, Reunion Weekend, and Commencement.
- Assist in measuring and analyzing the success of various web and mobile initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition to outstanding communication and technical skills, the candidate must have a strong knowledge of current web development languages (including HTML5, CSS3, PHP/MySQL) and Linux server administration experience. An understanding of responsive web design and experience using one of the major responsive frameworks (Bootstrap or Foundation) is required. Experience using Amazon Web Services, transactional email services such as SendGrid, Twilio, and VPS providers such as DigitalOcean is beneficial.
The successful candidate must also maintain high professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information, and an appreciation for the Jesuit Catholic tradition and the mission of John Carroll University is critical. This is a full-time position, and some weekend work (mostly event-based) may be required. Candidate should have 2+ years of professional experience and a track record of meeting the expectations of internal partners. A bachelor’s degree in computer science or web development is required. Embracing and being committed to diversity is expected.