As we settle into a new academic year, I’m on the lookout for a web developer to join our Integrated Marketing and Communications team. We’re a WordPress campus, and we develop several other PHP applications for campus. Do you know how to manage a LAMP environment, love solving challenging projects, and want to work with a smart, fun, creative team? This is the position for you! Here’s the full posting.
John Carroll University, a Jesuit Catholic university in Cleveland, Ohio, is seeking a web developer to join its award-winning Integrated Marketing and Communications team.
As a key member of the Integrated Marketing and Communications (IMC) creative services team, the web developer will provide front-line support for the University’s content management system (WordPress), develop new modules, and support other web and mobile applications.
In addition to outstanding communication and technical skills, the candidate must have a strong knowledge of current web development languages (including HTML5, CSS3, PHP/MySQL) and Linux server administration experience. An understanding of responsive web design and experience using one of the major responsive frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation is required. Experience using Amazon Web Services, transactional email services such as SendGrid or Mandrill, Twilio, and VPS providers such as DigitalOcean is beneficial.
Reporting to the executive director of marketing and creative services and working directly with the IMC team and the University community, the web developer will support IMC’s web servers and work with our outside providers and partners to provide great experiences for our campus content contributors.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and support WordPress themes, plugins, and custom post types for the campus WordPress installation.
- Design and implement new features, enhancements, and content on existing websites.
- Create and update re-usable code libraries to streamline WordPress development cycle.
- Provide front-line support to campus WordPress users and training when needed.
- Provide front-line support for the Industry Weapon digital signage system.
- Develop and support PHP web applications for offices including Admission, Alumni, Advancement Services, IMC, and more.
- Support departmental and divisional goals through participation in University-wide events like Homecoming, Reunion Weekend, and Commencement.
- Assist in measuring and analyzing the success of various web and mobile initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must also maintain high professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information. An appreciation for the Jesuit Catholic tradition, the mission of John Carroll University and our University Learning Goals is critical. This is a full-time position, and some weekend work (mostly event-based) may be required.
Candidate should have 2+ years of professional experience and a track record of meeting the expectations of internal partners. A bachelor’s degree in computer science or web development is required. Embracing and being committed to diversity is expected.
Applications must include a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio of sites or applications developed with a description of your role in their development.
John Carroll University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
You have to apply on the John Carroll HR website.